Wednesday, 12 July 2017


Martin Luther King once observed that “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

 

I was reminded of that remark by some of the media comments that followed last week’s Drug Symposium at Parliament, especially around the suggestion our Psychoactive Substances Act might play a wider role in future drug reform. In particular, two editorial comments caught my eye as classic examples of the dangerous combination of ignorance and stupidity Martin Luther King’s remarks referred to.

 

First was an editorial in the New Zealand Herald which opined that New Zealand had “flirted with legalising synthetic cannabis in 2013, with disastrous results. Sellers … took advantage … to sell dangerous drugs such as Kronic to teenagers at corner stores.” This was followed a few days later by the Listener’s comment that “Our disastrous experiment with so-called legal highs” meant “More young people used drugs than before.” The common link in both editorials was the complete lack of anything even remotely approaching a fact to back-up the anonymous writers’ fulminations.

 

Well, here are the relevant facts, uncomfortable and all as they may be for the purveyors of this ignorance and stupidity.

 

Psychoactive substances, legal highs, were around long before the advent of the Psychoactive Substances Act. Their origins internationally date back to various medical formulae developed in the 1960s as potential cures for common diseases which, although not effective in that role, were found to have a psychoactive effect, and hence created a market opportunity for those wishing to promote them as such. In the New Zealand, the most well-known legal high was Benzopiperazine, or BZP, as it was commonly known, which first became available here in the 1990s, and was eventually banned under the Misuse of Drugs Act in 2008, well before I became the responsible Minister.

 

It was during the first decade of the 2000s that the explosion of legal highs on the international market, and the problems they were likely to cause, first became apparent. Here, they were being sold freely at convenience stores up and down the country, with absolutely no regulation or control over product content, or to whom they were being sold. What the New Zealand Herald describes as a 2013 “flirtation” was already a well-established romance long before then, with more and more products becoming freely available as the years went by.

 

I took the first significant step to control the spread of these substances and the burgeoning market in 2010 when I put legislation through Parliament to allow bans of up to two years to be imposed on psychoactive substances considered to be dangerous, or contain illegal substances. The reason for these temporary bans was simply that products were being constantly reformulated, so that a product banned today, could emerge with a different formulation tomorrow and be back on the shelves for sale. It was under this regime that Kronic and its derivatives were banned in 2011, making a nonsense of the New Zealand Herald’s ignorant claims that they were legally introduced to the market in 2013! Under the temporary ban regime, 43 substances and many more product combinations were banned between 2011 and 2013.

 

But it soon became clear that the international pyschoactives industry was so extensive that we, along with most other countries, were going to have difficulty keeping ahead of the game. Many countries effectively surrendered at that point, opting for unenforceable, pseudo-bans that took products off the shelves, and so satisfied at a superficial level public concern, but turned a blind eye to the explosion in their respective black markets that occurred as a result. They are struggling with the consequences today.

 

New Zealand’s Psychoactive Substances Act was a credible response to these cynical approaches. It shifted the onus of proof to manufacturers and suppliers to demonstrate their products were of low risk to users, in return for being able to sell them in a highly regulated market. When the legislation was passed, there were around 4,000 convenience stores up and down the country selling more than 3,000 different legal high products, without any control or restriction. The day the legislation took effect, as an interim step, the 4,000 stores were immediately reduced to around 150 R18 stores only, and the product range slashed to around 41 products. The interim step was always intended to be just that and I removed it altogether a few months later, leaving no legal stores, and no products to sell.

 

At the time, there was a lot of noise, reflected again in the recent Listener editorial, that the passage of the legislation saw many more young people being rushed to Emergency Departments with severe problems as a result of using legal highs. Yet surveys of Emergency Departments at the time showed that an overwhelming majority experienced no increases in the numbers of young people presenting with psychoactive substances problems. Even amongst the minority that did note an increase in presentations, the numbers reported were very low indeed, and, across the board, alcohol intoxication remained far and away the primary drug-related reason for young people ending up in Emergency Departments.

 

So, rather than the disastrous results the ignorant editorialists allege, the facts tell a rather different story. There was no “experiment” with legal highs, nor did I “introduce” them to New Zealand. The reality was quite the opposite. It was my 2010 and 2013 pieces of legislation that removed them from the New Zealand market.

 

But then, perhaps I should not be surprised at displays of ignorance and stupidity like these editorials. We live in the “post-truth” age, after all. It is not new – Voltaire foresaw it centuries ago when he wrote that “The more often a stupidity is repeated, the more it gets the appearance of wisdom.” The facts are, once more, reduced to inconvenience.

 

Those of us who like evidence and facts obviously have to get used to the fact these apparently do not matter anymore. Perhaps Dennis Denuto was right – it is all about “the vibe” after all.

                

   

  

 

 

 

9 comments:

  1. We Offer Loan At A Very Low Rate Of 3%. If Interested, Kindly Contact Us via email now (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to brotherhood Illuminati where you can become
      rich famous and popular and your life story we be change
      totally my name is Dan Jerry I am here to share my
      testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati
      and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor
      no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my
      family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all
      my possible best to get money but no one work out for me
      each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no
      money to take care of them until one day I decided to join
      the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I
      never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they
      said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to
      me they really change my story totally . They give me the
      sum of $1,200,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I
      was able to become rich, and have many industry on my
      own and become famous and popular in my country , today
      me and my family is living happily and I am the most
      happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the
      Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like
      other people and you life we be change totally.If you are
      interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati.then
      contact him +2348106618681 email:illuminatibrotherpowerful@
      gmail.com or you need my assistance email:danjerry04@gmail.com...

      Delete
  2. I am very happy when read this blog post because blog post written in good method and write on good topic. Thanks for sharing precious information.. Australia Homes For Rent

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTEAD OF LOAN; JOIN ILLUMINATI. I DON’T WANT YOU GUYS TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE, THAT IS WHY I AM SHARING THIS TO ALL MY FRIENDS OUT THERE: YOU MUST BE CAREFUL HERE OF SCAM, MOST OF THE COMMENT ABOUT JOINING ILLUMINATI ARE FAKE, I WAS RECENTLY SCAM BY 3 PEOPLE CLAIMING TO BE ILLUMINATI AGENT. I LOST OVER $3800 UNTIL A FRIEND DIRECTED ME TO A REAL AGENT PLEASE, I WAS GIVEN $ MONEY PAD ($50,000 EVERY 3 DAYS) IF YOU WANT TO BE A MEMBER OF ILLUMINATI QUICKLY, Contact Prof. Theo the illuminati communications centre at: Whatsapp: +2348147017594, or call: +2348034453159. EMAIL: illuminatiworldwideuk@gmail.com or illuminaticommunicationcentre@gmail.com or
    Kindly visit: http://newyork.chaosads.com/item/422684/ or illuminatiworldwideuk.wordpress.com you can contact our new head office in USA because our head office is no longer in UK, we are now located In USA for confirmations email our HEAD OFFICE on: nationwidepriest@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREETINGS FROM THE GREAT GRAND MASTER! IN REGARDS OF YOU BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE GREAT ILLUMINATI, WE WELCOME YOU. Be part of something profitable and special (WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF THE ILLUMINATI). Are you a POLITICIAN,ENGINEER,DOCTOR, ENTERTAINER,MOD EL,GRADUATE/STUDENT,OR YOU HAVE IT IN MIND TO EXPAND YOUR BUSINESS To BECOME GREAT MINDS. It is pertinent to also know that For becoming a member, and earn the sum of $100,000 as the illuminati membership salary monthly. Please be a part of these GOLDEN "OPPORTUNITY" The great illuminati Organization makes you rich and famous in the world, it will pull you out from the grass root and take you to a greater height were you have long aspired to be and together we shall rule the world with the great and mighty power of the Illuminati, long life and prosperity here on earth with eternal life and jubilation. INBOX OUR AGENT NOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!....... Just gmail me on illuminatibloodworld666@gmail.com or call me or whatsApp.com me on +2348056377915

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to brotherhood Illuminati where you can become
    rich famous and popular and your life story we be change
    totally my name is Dan Jerry I am here to share my
    testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati
    and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor
    no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my
    family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all
    my possible best to get money but no one work out for me
    each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no
    money to take care of them until one day I decided to join
    the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I
    never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they
    said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to
    me they really change my story totally . They give me the
    sum of $1,200,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I
    was able to become rich, and have many industry on my
    own and become famous and popular in my country , today
    me and my family is living happily and I am the most
    happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the
    Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like
    other people and you life we be change totally.If you are
    interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati.then
    contact him +2348106618681 email:illuminatibrotherpowerful@
    gmail.com or you need my assistance email:danjerry04@gmail.com...

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONTACT MR Paul Smith call (+2349055346865 or WhatsApp him through this number +2349055346865 or email:illuminatiworldofsociety1@gmail.com Hello everyone I am mr charles adamson from liberia, I am giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now,I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria,I was down,I could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all miss but all invail, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have eat my money,One day I across a post of someone giving a testimony, thanking a man called paul smith of being helping him to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I look at the man email and the phone number that was written there, it was a nigeria number I was afraid to contact him because a nigerian agent eat my 200,000 and go away with the money then I was very tired, confused and I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join, he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and called the agent called Bernard Jones and he told me everything to do, and I was initiated, surprisely I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy,For those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR paul smith call (+2349055346865 or WhatsApp him +2349055346865 or email:illuminatiworldofsociety1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THE WORLD OF FAME??
    GETTING RICH. POWERFUL AND FAMOUS? JOIN THE
    ILLUMINATI TODAY AND BECOME RICH.ILLUMINATI
    BRINGS YOU INTO THE LIMELIGHT OF THE WORLD IN
    WHICH YOU LIVE IN TODAY. YOUR FINANCIAL
    DIFFICULTIES ARE BROUGHT TO AN END IF YOU JOIN.
    WE SUPPORT YOU BOTH FINANCIALLY AND
    MATERIALLY TO ENSURE YOU LIVE A COMFORTABLE
    LIFE.JOIN ILLUMINATI AND GET YOUR SELF A HOUSE
    AND A CAR AND ALSO WITH THE SUM OF (ONE
    MILLION DOLLARS) BENEFITS GIVEN TO NEW
    MEMBERS WHO JOIN ILLUMINATI. 1. A Cash Reward
    of one million dollars 2.A Dream House bought in the
    country of your own choice and a car 3.A V.I.P
    treatment in all Airports in the World 4.A total
    Lifestyle change 5.Monthly payment of $500,000.00
    USD into your bank account every month as a
    member If you are interested of joining us in the
    great brotherhood Illuminati riches satanic hand
    symbol contact us Email-(illuminatitempleofriche
    s33@gmail.com ) or
    ( call +2348139568891 or add the great grand master in USA on whatsapp
    +1(929)2511294

    ReplyDelete